Wills Lawyers NSW
When a loved one has passed away it can be difficult to know what their intentions were when it comes to their estate.

Sometimes loved ones will give specific instructions as to where their last Will is kept, however, unfortunately in most cases death can be sudden and unexpected.

So how do you find their will?

1. Search through the deceased’s personal belongings

Many people will keep a copy of their Will at home. You should ensure that their property is thoroughly checked. Important documents are usually kept safe and they may be locked away or hidden in amongst other paperwork.

2. Ask other family or friends

Sometimes, even the closest of people will not wish to disclose matters such as a Will with those who they are particularly close with as death can be a rather sensitive subject. However, it would not be uncommon for a person to confide in another family member, friend, or even work colleague as to the location of their Will.

3. Deceased will enquiry

There is no public registry of wills in New South Wales, however the NSW Trustee and Guardian often prepare and hold a large database of Wills. A search of their database can be done by contacting their local office, or through their website: http://www.tag.nsw.gov.au/deceased-will-enquiry-form.html

4. Contact a Probate Lawyer

If your enquiries fail to lead you to a Will then you should contact a probate lawyer who will be able to assist you in further searches, or advise you on intestacy.

If all of your searches fail to result in a will being found then the rules of intestacy would apply. Basically intestacy means that someone has died without leaving a valid Will.

In New South Wales if a deceased person leaves a spouse (whether married or de-facto) their spouse would receive the entire estate, even if there were children of that relationship.

However, what if the deceased had children to a previous marriage? The surviving spouse would then receive what is referred to as a ‘statutory legacy’, any personal effects and half of the residue of the estate. The remaining half residue of the estate is then divided between the children.

In the event that there was no surviving spouse or children then the estate would go (in order) to parents, siblings, grandparents, and aunts and uncles (including cousins if an aunt or uncle has predeceased) of the deceased. If there is no one remaining in the family the estate would go to the crown.

In other states the rules of intestacy vary, and you should contact a probate lawyer for further advice.

Turnbull Hill Lawyers, and specifically Adrian Corbould and Mary Windeyer, have been named in the prestigious 2020 Doyles Guide. Both were also listed in the 2019 and 2018 guide.

Related Services

Get Help

Please provide details regarding your matter so we can assist you.

We respond in 24 hours or less!*

*During regular business hours

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Send us a Message

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Contact Us

Free Call 1800 994 279
  • Newcastle 02 4904 8000
    1st Floor, Charlestown Commercial Centre
    29 Smith Street
    Charlestown, NSW, 2290
  • 11 Mitchell Drive,
    East Maitland, NSW, 2323
  • Central Coast 1300 153 324
    Suite 1.2 (ground floor), Zenith Business Centre
    Tuggerah Business Park
    6 Reliance Drive

    Tuggerah, NSW, 2259
  • Sydney CBD 02 8076 6002
    Level 8, 65 York Street
    Sydney, NSW, 2000