Home About Us Services
Business Services Personal Services
Our People Seminars Careers Contact Us
Home > Family & De Facto Law > Property Settlement (De Facto)

Property Settlement - De Facto Relationship

What happens to property owned when people are de facto?

What is a De Facto Relationship?

A de facto relationship can exist between two persons of different sexes. A de facto relationship can exist between two persons of the same sex. A person can be in a de facto relationship even though they are legally married to someone else or they are in a de facto relationship with another person.

What's the significance of 1 March 2009?

For people in de facto relationships the date of separation is very important because it determines which Act applies.

Read more about this below.

Property Settlement De Facto

Family Law and De Facto Law Specialist - Alan Wright - Turnbull Hill Lawyers in NSW

Message Alan Wright - Divorce Lawyer

Email Alan Wright - Lawyer in Newcastle at Turnbull Hill


If your relationship breaks down, you may be able to sort out what to do with the property of the relationship in a friendly way with your partner.

Alternatively, you may need assistance to reach agreement. Your solicitor may help you negotiate a settlement with your spouse. Often mediation can help. At mediation you are assisted by an independent person to reach agreement about the division of your property.

If a settlement is reached it should be formalised. That can be done by Consent Orders made by the appropriate Court or by a formal Agreement (Termination Agreement if separation prior to 1 March 2009 and Financial Agreement if separation on or after 1 March 2009). Consent Orders and formal Agreements provide finality so that neither party can make a future claim. They also provide exemption from stamp duty for assets transferred pursuant to the Order or Agreement.

In fact, people can enter into a Financial Agreement before they enter into a de facto relationship or during the de facto relationship (while they are happily together). Such agreements provide for what happens regarding division of property should they separate. These agreements are binding (provided that they meet the conditions set out in the Family Law Act).

Going to Court

If agreement can't be reached then the matter will go to court.

If you separated before 1 March 2009 then your case will be heard in one of the Local Court, District Court or Supreme Court (unless both parties agree to it being heard in the Family Court or Federal Magistrates Court).

If you separated on or after 1 March 2009 then your case will be heard in the Family Court or Federal Magistrates Court.

Whichever Act is relevant, a court will normally only make a property settlement order if the de facto relationship has lasted for two years or more. There are exceptions e.g. if there is a child of the relationship. Also, regardless of which Act is relevant, court proceedings need to be commenced within two years of the date of separation. Outside of this period special leave needs to be obtained from the court to proceed with the case.

Dividing Property - separation on or after 1 March 2009

The law sets out four steps in determining an appropriate division of property. Those steps are:

  1. Valuing the property, including superannuation. The law allows the "splitting" of superannuation interests.
  2. Assessing the contributions made by each party. Examples of contributions are: earning money during the relationship, inheriting an asset, homemaking duties and looking after children.
  3. Assessing the future needs of each party and the resources of each party. For example, if one person has the major responsibility for caring for the children, then they will receive an adjustment in their favour.
  4. The outcome must be "just and equitable".

Property Settlement Lawyer De Facto

Dividing Property - Separation before 1 March 2009

If you separated before 1 March 2009 then steps 1, 2 and 4, outlined in "Dividing Property - Separation on or after 1 March 2009" apply. Little consideration is given to Step 3. So, for example, the arrangement for the care of the children will have much less relevance if you separated before 1 March 2009.

Also, if you separated before 1 March 2009, superannuation cannot be split (unless both parties consent to the matter being dealt with under the Family Law Act by the Family Court or Federal Magistrates Court). It is, however, still taken into account in dividing up the other property.

Spousal Maintenance

If you separated on or after 1 March 2009 then to be eligible for spousal maintenance you need to show:

  1. That you are unable to adequately support yourself eg. because of caring for children under 18 years of age;
  2. That your spouse is reasonably able to pay maintenance.

You must apply for spousal maintenance within 2 years of separation (if you are late you have to get permission from the Court to commence your case).

If you separated before 1 March 2009 spousal maintenance can be obtained, but on a more restricted basis.

Property Settlement Marriage

What is the first step?

We understand that commencing a property settlement is a difficult decision for both parties. It's an emotional time for everyone involved and the complexities surrounding dividing assets can be daunting. For these reasons we designed a 'First Step Package' (FSP) for those taking their first steps in family law.

The FSP is a fixed-cost consultation with one of our highly experienced family lawyers for up to two hours. For your convenience we offer the FSP in three different ways:

  • In person at any one of our 3 offices: Newcastle, Sydney and Central Coast
  • Over the phone (teleconference)
  • Over Skype (video conference)

During the FSP your lawyer will:

  • Explain what the law states in relation to your specific circumstances;
  • Explain the property settlement process and all the steps involved;
  • Aim to provide you with an example of how the Court will likely deal with the split of assets (depending on the level of information you are able to provide in relation to those assets);
  • Explain your liabilities; and
  • Provide you with an estimate of ongoing legal costs.

Following the FSP you'll receive a written report about your situation, which will outline what was discussed (above) and provide you with recommendations on the next steps you should take. You'll also receive a free information pack that will be tailored to your situation.

To find out more click this link: First Step Package

Property Settlement Lawyer - Matthew CarneyOur Property Settlement Team:

Our Promise:

  • A focus on early resolution - to save you time & money
  • Highly professional and friendly service at all times
  • Highly qualified team, should court be required
  • Complete confidentiality at all times
  • Fast, efficient and courteous service
  • The best possible result for you and your family



What is a letter of demand and when do I send it?

Back > Business, Commercial & Workplace Law >  Debt Recovery What is a letter of demand and when do I send it? A letter of demand is a letter you have sent to customers who haven't paid your tax invoice by its due date. Properly drafted for maximum effect, it will set out not only the amount due, but also th...

Read More ...

When is there a "transfer of business"...and why do I need to know...?

Back > Business Acquisitions, Disposals & Mergers Why do I need to know? I'm going to answer the second question first, because that's where the unexpected "sting" is. When there's a transfer of business, and the new business owner takes on an employee of the former business owner, then the ne...

Read More ...

What is the Comcare Scheme for workers compensation?

Back > Workers Compensation Claims What is the Comcare Scheme for workers compensation? If you're an employee of a: Commonwealth government agencies and statutory authorities (excluding members of the Australian Defence Force) and the ACT Government and its agencies; or A National employer that has been grante...

Read More ...

When can my child decide where they want to live?

A question frequently asked by parents during separation is when can my child decide where they wants to live? The Family Law Act defines a child to be a person who is under 18. Until a child is 18 or over the Court has the power to decide where the child will live even if the child does not want to live in that location. While the childr...

Read More ...

Builder Dispute Resolution Process

What do you do if you're in a dispute with your builder? It is quite common for a dispute to arise when you are building or renovating your home. These disputes can range from small errors in communication to major disagreements that cannot be resolved without the involvement of lawyers. A lot of the disputes we encounter on ...

Read More ...

| 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next

"I just wanted to thankyou for all your assistance with everything. We wish you all the best & many thanks to yourself & all your team."

A. Boggie & S.Grills

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

HomeBookmark SitePrintTell a FriendContact UsLinked InTwitterFacebookenquiries@turnbullhill.com.au