Home > Compensation & Insurance Claims > Personal Injury Claims

Personal Injury Claims - NSW

Have you got a Personal Injury Claim in NSW?

If you've been injured as a result of someone elses negligence you could be entitled to compensation and have every right to make a personal injury compensation claim, but you have to lodge your claim quickly as strict time limits do apply.

You could be entitled to compensation for personal injury to:

  • cover you loss of income, medical and related expenses
  • cover any expenses relating to the provision of domestic assistance and care required as a result of your injury
  • compensate you for the pain & suffering you are experiencing because of your injuries

Also, if your injuries are more severe (Total Permanent Disability) you could be entitled to compensation for much more!

Jacklyn Dooley - Personal Injury Lawyer

Compensation & Insurance Free Claim Assessment in NSW

Why do you need a personal injury lawyer?

Where could a Personal Injury occur?

An unfortunate accident leading to an injury has the potential to occur in almost any situation. Some of the most common situations and places where personal injuries occur include:

  • slipping, tripping or falling down (anywhere, i.e. a public footpath or park)
  • within a shopping centre, or any retail environment (Supermarket Claims)
  • at a learning institution (school, TAFE, University or college campus)
  • while participating in or attending a sports event / game (both the players and crowd)
  • while riding in or driving a form of transport (motor vehicle, motorcycle, truck, etc)
  • at the premises of a company or business (Workers Compensation Claims)
  • as a result of medical negligence (hospital, surgery, Doctors, etc)
  • at a place of health and fitness (gym or swimming pool)
  • as a result of a product malfunction
  • at an entertainment venue (pub, restaurant, nightclub, movie theatre, etc)
  • on a private property or residence (car park, apartment complex, housing estate, etc)

Personal Injury Claims - The First Step

The first step we recommend is sending a letter of demand to the person/s at fault. This will generally result in their insurer becoming involved. After discussing your situation and injury we will draft the letter of demand.

Following this we would enter into negotiations with the insurer in an attempt to settle your claim without the need to commence formal legal proceedings. Our goal is to ensure you get the best outcome as swiftly as possible, without the costs associated with going to Court.

Personal Injury Claims in NSW

Personal Injury - Legal Proceedings

If legal proceedings are necessary, we will work with you to prepare your legal proceedings, including obtaining evidence to support your claim and engaging a barrister to present your claim to the Court.

In our experience, most of these types of claims can be settled with the insurer for appropriate compensation, provided all the relevant evidence available is obtained and provided to the insurer in a timely manner and so long as you dont talk to one of the insurers investigators or let the insurer have you assessed by one or more of their doctors before you get legal advice from a compensation lawyer.

The insurers will doctor shop if you let them! (Read our article on 'Doctor Shopping' for more information).

Personal Injuries - The Occupier's Liability

Personal Injury

If the personal injury occurs as a result of an accident on someone else's property (which could be any of the properties mentioned earlier) you may be entitled to receive compensation from the "occupier" of that property. An occupier of a property will generally need to have some form of public liability insurance cover that protects them from personal injury claims.

An "occupier" can be a business, company, landlord, council, tenant or any person that is deemed to have control over the property, premises or land where you sustained the personal injury. The compensation claim, and any associated legal proceedings, will be handled by the occupier's insurance company.

The occupier will only be held liable for the personal injury if it can be shown that they did not take reasonable care to ensure that visitors to their property, premises or land were safe. There are also a number of other factors that determine the success and likelihood of a favourable outcome for a personal injury claim, all of which can be discussed in your free first consultation with us.

Compensation & Insurance Free Claim Assessment in NSW

Personal Injury Claims - Related Articles

  1. Court finds that the prongs of a pallet jack created a foreseeable risk of injury to customer
  2. What is a catastrophic injury claim?
  3. How long should it take to settle my personal injury claim?
  4. Occupier of retail shop not liable for the actions of a "suspected fraudster"
  5. Coles must pay the following failed appeal
  6. If you've been injured in NSW as a result of a criminal act of violence...
  7. Don't become the victim of an insurer "Doctor Shopping"
  8. Newcastle worker awarded $100,000 after falling through a roof


Contact Us Now

We respond in 24 hours or less

Please provide details regarding your matter so we can assist you

Enquiry Form

Fill out our enquiry form and we'll respond within 24 hours

Please tick to verify that you are not a spam


What happens when you burn down your house during a separation to avoid transferring it to your ex?

What happens when you burn down your property during a property settlement to avoid transferring it to your former partner? When fire fighters attended upon a property in Wollongong in the early hours of 4 August 2016 they discovered that the owner was sitting with his dog calmly watching his house going up in flames. Mr Krste Kovaces...

Read More ...

A step by step guide to obtaining a separation agreement

A step by step guide to obtaining a separation agreement from Turnbull Hill Lawyers A separation agreement (known as a binding financial agreement (or BFA) under the Family Law Act) is a legally binding document that formalises your property settlement. As a separation agreement is legally binding, each party must carefully co...

Read More ...

Significant Changes Are Proposed to Criminal Law Sentencing & Offender Supervision

On 9 May 2017, the NSW Governments announced a series of significant justice reforms that aim to deliver justice more quickly to communities and victims, strengthen sentencing options and ensure offenders are rigorously supervised when serving community orders. Sentencing Reform It has been proposed that: Suspended sentenc...

Read More ...

How does the 2017 Budget affect the family law Courts?

The government has made several announcements that will affect the family law system in the 2017 budget. These include a new initiative to help resolve disputes, additional family law consultants, and a trial of domestic violence units. The Australian Law Reform Commission has been asked to conduct a comprehensive review of the family law sys...

Read More ...

7 Hot Tips for Buying Property Off the Plan

7 Hot Tips for Buying Property Off the Plan from Turnbull Hill Lawyers 1. Lock in the right price by doing market research When you buy property 'off the plan' you are purchasing it many months, sometimes years, in advance before construction has been completed sometimes even before construction has started. For this r...

Read More ...

| 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next

"We are extremely pleased with the settlement and very relieved that the litigation process is now all over. We are extremely grateful for all of y...

Llona K Fisher

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation