Medical Negligence Compensation Claims Lawyers NSW

What happens if you are injured as a result of medical treatment?

As a developed and relatively wealthy country, Australia has built itself a quality healthcare system that can look after the needs and demands of a growing population. However, this doesn’t mean that mistakes don’t occur and there are areas where improvements are required.

Of course, it’s important to remember that healthcare is experienced on a case-by-case basis so errors and mistakes affect individuals – potentially increasing compensation to injured claimants as a result. This is why despite a report noting the NSW healthcare system matches or outperforms comparable systems in 80 per cent of measures, there has to be a focus on the other 20 per cent.

What areas are letting NSW down?

Based on the Bureau of Health Information’s (BHI) annual Healthcare in Focus 2016 report, there are four core areas where NSW isn’t performing up to international standards. This includes a higher rate of post-surgical complications, the inappropriate use of procedures, slow waiting times and a high rate of readmission to hospital psychiatric units post-discharge.

Slow wait times are an ongoing issue in NSW hospitals.

BHI Acting Chief Executive Dr Kim Sutherland explained that despite the hard work of staff, some incidents are difficult to avoid.

“While not always avoidable, readmission rates to public hospital psychiatric units varied from six to 19 per cent across NSW hospitals, which suggests there may be potential for improvement,” Dr Sutherland said.

What happens when you’re personally affected?

The majority of people interacting with the NSW healthcare system are treated professionally and get better quickly. However, if you believe that your experience has resulted in your condition worsening or you have been injured as a result of medical treatment, you could be eligible to make a medical negligence claim.

At Turnbull Hill Lawyers, we specialise in four specific types of medical negligence.

  • Misdiagnosis – Where a medical professional fails to diagnosis your illness or condition properly and it impacts your health.
  • Negligent Medical Treatment/Failed Surgery – Where a medical professional fails to perform a procedure or surgery in the correct way, resulting in further health issues.
  • Failure to Warn/Seek Informed Consent – Where a medical professional fails to inform you of the risks associated with the treatment, impacting your health.
  • Medical Product Liability – Where a product provided by a medical professional fails and you encounter problems with your health.

How can we support your medical negligence claim?

If you believe that you’re the victim of medical negligence, it’s important to get in touch with our legal team as soon as possible. From here, we can assess the details of your case and provide you with advice.

For more information about making a medical negligence claim in NSW, reach out to Turnbull Hill Lawyers today.


Related Services

Get Help

Please provide details regarding your matter so we can assist you.

We respond in 24 hours or less!*

*During regular business hours

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation

Send us a Message

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Contact Us

Free Call 1800 994 279
  • Newcastle 02 4904 8000
    1st Floor, Charlestown Commercial Centre
    29 Smith Street
    ,
    Charlestown, NSW, 2290
  • Central Coast 02 4904 8000
    Zenith Business Centre
    Tuggerah Business Park
    Suite 7.2, Reliance Drive

    Tuggerah, NSW, 2259
  • Sydney CBD 02 8076 6002
    Level 8, 65 York Street
    Sydney, NSW, 2000