Home About Us Services
Business Services Personal Services
Our People Seminars Careers Contact Us

New Tax Agent Services Regime commenced 1 March 2010 - do you need to register?

This regime will affect all tax and BAS agents providing tax agent or BAS services. This includes, but is not limited to persons providing tax advice, ascertaining tax liabilities, entitlements or obligations and representing clients in dealings with the Commissioner. This will affect accountants, bookkeepers and some lawyers.

The new regime is intended to ensure that tax agent services and BAS services provided to taxpayers are of an appropriate standard.

Some of the key legislative elements of the new regulatory regime are summarised below.

The Tax Agent Services Act 2009 provides for:

• The establishment of the new national Tax Practitioners Board
• a legislated Code of Professional Conduct to govern the provision of tax agent and BAS services
• a wider range of disciplinary sanctions which may be imposed by the Board
• registration and regulation of tax agents and BAS agents and
• a 'safe harbour' for taxpayers from penalties who use tax agents or BAS agents in certain circumstances.

The Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009 provide:

• requirements for registration as a tax agent and a BAS agent
• definitions and requirements for recognition as a recognised tax agent association and recognised BAS agent association and
• fees for registration.

It is essential that all tax practitioners and BAS agents understand the new regime and the impact it will have on them.

Do you need to register?

For tax agents, the answer to this question will depend on whether they are providing “tax agent services”.

A “tax agent service” includes, but is not limited to:

• preparing or lodging a return, notice, statement, application or other document about a taxpayer’s liabilities, obligations or entitlements under a taxation law;
• preparing or lodging on behalf of a taxpayer an objection against an assessment, determination, notice or decision under a taxation law;
• applying to the Commissioner for a review of, or instituting an appeal against, a decision on an objection;
• giving a taxpayer advice about a taxation law that the taxpayer can reasonably be expected to rely upon to satisfy their taxation obligations; and
• dealing with the Commissioner on behalf of a taxpayer.

If you are providing tax agent services it is time to consider the new regime in detail.

Do you meet the registration requirements?

To be eligible to register, an entity must satisfy:

• a fit and proper person test; and
• prescribed qualification and education requirements.

If you wish to discuss the new Tax Agent Services Regime, please contact Warwick Gilbertson at Turnbull Hill Lawyers on
4904 8000 or send him an email.


Author: Warwick Gilbertson

Estate Planning

Don't Leave Your Child's Guardian Out of Pocket

The Cost to Guardians Tim and Tina were killed in a motor vehicle accident. They had 2 children aged 6 and 4. In their Wills they had appointed Tina’s brother and his wife, John and Joanna, as guardians of the children. John and Joanna knew that they weren’t bound to accept the appointment and responsibilities but did so w...

Read More ...

Superannuation Contributions 2013

SUPERANNUATION CONTRIBUTIONS The Australian Taxation Office (“ATO”) has released the superannuation contributions caps for the 2012/2013 year which we have set out below.   In this article we explore the types of contributions that can be made to superannuation and the caps that set a limit on the amount of contributi...

Read More ...

Self Managed Superannuation Fund - The Trustee Basics

SELF MANAGED SUPERANNUATION FUND (“SMSF”) TRUSTEE  BASICS Running a SMSF is very different from belonging to a large fund where someone else looks after your benefits. In a SMSF you are responsible for all of the administration of the fund including all compliance, reporting tax obligations. 1.  Role as Trust...

Read More ...

Having a Will which saves tax

Most people are aware of the importance of having an up-to-date Will which expresses their current wishes in relation to who gets what when they die.   In many cases, you can save your beneficiaries a lot of money by having a Will which is tax effective. These types of Wills normally cost more than a “regular” Will be...

Read More ...

Parents of disabled children can NOW put in place PROTECTIVE TRUSTS...

to be used to fund their child's needs when the parents die...
Some good, helpful information...it may be of interest to you or someone you know...

More and more often our advice is being sought by the parents of disabled children, concerned to put in place a mechanism to fund the needs of their child, once the parents die. Th...

Read More ...

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Articles via RSS rss
"Through working closely with John Teague and hi...

Tristan & Sarah, Newcastle

Home Bookmark Site Print Tell a Friend Contact UsLinked In Twitter Facebook enquiries@turnbullhill.com.au