Don't become the victim of an insurer "Doctor Shopping"

Written on the 14 July 2010 by Gavin Hanrahan

What is Doctor Shopping?

If you're involved in a motor vehicle accident or injured at work and make a personal injury claim, expect the insurance company to require you to see one of their doctors for examination. You may hear these reviews being referred to as 'independent medical examinations' (IME).

Requiring an examination by a doctor is quite common and shouldn't be a problem, in fact, it's actually quite reasonable for the insurance company to request this before they agree to pay your personal injury claim.

What is unreasonable is when the insurance company doesn't like or validate the doctor's opinion and they arrange for you to be seen by another doctor, in an attempt to try and find a doctor who will make a diagnosis that is more in their favour. Some insurers will even continue this process multiple times until they receive a doctor's opinion that will allow them to legally refuse to pay your claim. This is known as "Doctor Shopping".

The law can be quite vague when it comes to stopping insurance companies who are 'Doctor Shopping', especially since its common practice for an insurance company to request that you seek an IME from time to time (at reasonable intervals, for example yearly). If you think the insurance company is requesting that you seek too many IMEs, or they are requesting them at unreasonable time intervals (monthly), you should immediately refuse to attend the IME and give us a call to discuss your options. We will be able to determine if the insurance company is acting appropriately or not, and take action against them if they are acting unethically by not adhering to the law.

Too often we get contacted by clients for advice after they have already attended numerous doctors for the insurer and unfortunately in these circumstances the damage has been done.

Don't let this happen to you! If an insurance company contacts you for the purpose of attending one of its doctors for an IME, contact us immediately and we'll let you know if you are required to attend the appointment.

For any advice and assistance related to stopping insurance companies from doctor shopping, or personal injury claims, please call our Compensation & Insurance Claims team on 1800 994 279 or email us. A member of our team will endeavour to respond to your enquiry within 24 hours.

Author: Gavin Hanrahan
About: Gavin Hanrahan is the Managing Partner of Turnbull Hill Lawyers and the Partner-in-Charge of our Business, Commercial & Workplace Team. He advises clients on a broad range of business, workplace and HR issues, ranging from employment contracts to risk management. As one of the leading business lawyers in NSW, Gavin speaks to local business owners every day and understands both the needs and difficulties of launching, managing and growing a business. Our clients appreciate his practical, personal and solutions-orientated approach and his ability to respond to legal issues that are currently impacting businesses all over NSW.
Connect via: Twitter Google+ LinkedIn

Contact Us Now

We respond in 24 hours or less

Please provide details regarding your matter so we can assist you

Enquiry Form

Fill out our enquiry form and we'll respond within 24 hours

Listen to the captcha

Commercial Leases - Get Them in Writing

Commercial Leases: Always get them in writing! I recently spoke to a client who is the owner of a commercial warehouse that he had leased out to a tenant some time ago.  Related Articles: Commercial Leases &nbs...

Read More ...

Why should I require security if I'm a landlord and leasing my commercial or retail premises?

Why should I require security if I'm a landlord and leasing my commercial or retail premises? from Turnbull Hill Lawyers As a landlord, when you rent out your commercial premises you would generally do so on the basis that the tenant is responsible for paying you rent and their share of certain of your outgoings... which...

Read More ...

A Redundancy Payment is Property and Can Be Divided in a Property Settlement

A Redundancy Payment is Property and Can Be Divided in a Property Settlement from Turnbull Hill Lawyers A Redundancy Payment is Property and Can Be Divided in a Property Settlement A redundancy is where an employer no longer requires a person's job to be performed by anyone because of changes in the operational requirement...

Read More ...

One brain snap doesn't mean you aren't entitled to compensation

One brain snap doesn't mean you aren't entitled to compensation... for example, if you accepted a lift in a motor vehicle from a driver who was young and under the influence of alcohol and caused you serious injuries with lifelong consequences The case of Pallier v Solomons, which was heard in the NSW Supreme Court highlights, the...

Read More ...

Everything you need to know about cease and desist letters

1. What is a cease and desist letter? A cease and desist letter is the term that is given to those letters that are sent to people whom you believe are partaking in an activity that they shouldn't be partaking in, usually because it represents a breach of contract or an infringement of some other right. 2. What is the purpose of a...

Read More ...

Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next

"Thanks again John (Teague), for all your hard w...

Tristan & Sarah Y, Adamstown

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation