A step by step guide to obtaining a separation agreement

Written on the 24 May 2017 by Matthew Carney

A separation agreement (known as a binding financial agreement (or BFA) under the Family Law Act) is a legally binding document that formalises your property settlement.

As a separation agreement is legally binding, each party must carefully consider their options and decide what is in their best interest prior to signing it. To assist separating couples, we have drafted the following step by step guide to assist you in understanding the process of obtaining a separation agreement.

Separation Agreements in NSWStep 1 - Initial Meeting With Lawyer

We recommend that following separation both parties are independently advised by an experienced family lawyer. As a starting point we recommend our "First Step Package". At the initial meeting, you will have an appointment with a family lawyer of your choice for up to two hours where we will advise you about your situation, the likely outcomes and what steps you should take, it will be followed by a written report advising you of the required next steps for you to consider. If both parties are independently advised by an experienced family lawyer it significantly increases the prospects of a quick settlement.

See Also: First Step Package

Step 2 - Financial Disclosure

Each party must start the process with full and frank 'Financial Disclosure'. Each party has a duty of disclosure that requires parties to provide to each other all information relevant to the matter. This duty continues until the matter is finalised. Each party is required to provide information to the other all party about all sources of income, assets, debts and other financial resources. This applies whether the property, financial resources and earnings are owned solely, as a beneficiary (for example, the party's child or de facto partner) or are held in corporations, trusts, company or other such business structures. Each party should carefully consider the financial information provided by the other party and decide if any valuations are required. An experienced family lawyer will be able to give you a full list of documents required and advise you if valuations are required.

Step 3 - Negotiation

After full financial disclosure has been exchanged, both party's lawyers will negotiate a final outcome. This may occur through the exchange of letters, face to face meetings or mediation. This process may take several days or may take several months depending on the complexity of the assets being divided.

Step 4 - Drafting

Once an agreement is reached the lawyer will draft the separation agreement. Both parties will review the agreement and negotiate the terms of the separation agreement.

Online Forms & Templates

We have recently seen a rise in the availability of cheap online forms and templates available for download for a small fee (or for free), it is important that you do not use an online form or template. While these forms/templates may be appealing due to their low costs, they are rarely legally enforceable (notwithstanding their claims to the contrary) and do not meet the legal requirements. Every relationship is different and you need a specialised family lawyer to draft an agreement relevant to your specific circumstances. We strongly recommend parties obtain proper advice and spending a limited amount of money now, rather than spending tens of thousands of dollars contesting the agreement later.

Step 5 - Obtain formal written advice on the terms of the agreement

After the agreement is drafted (and during the whole process) you should be advised by an experienced family lawyer. Once the agreement is drafted, however, both parties must be independently represented by a separate lawyer about the advantages and disadvantages of signing the agreement and the effect that the agreement has on the parties. Both lawyers will independently provide a certificate, certifying that this legal advice has been provided. If the 'Certificate of Independent Legal Advice' is not provided, the agreement is not legally binding, even if it has been signed by both parties.

Step 6 - Signing

Once the agreement is agreed, drafted and both parties have obtained independent legal advice, both parties will sign the same agreement and copies will be provided to both parties. The original agreement will be stored in a lawyers' safe custody room indefinitely so both parties can obtain a further copy in the future if needed.


A separation agreement is a complex legal document, the division of your assets after separation occurs will likely be one of, if not the biggest, financial decision of your life. We recommend that all parties going through, or considering, a separation obtain specialised family law advice so that they are protected an obtain a fair outcome during this difficult time.

Related Articles

If you have any more questions related to separation agreements please visit our FAQs page, if that doesn't answer you questions, please call Matthew Carney on 1800 994 279 or email him. A member of our Family Law Team will endeavour to respond to your enquiry within 24 hours.

- Matthew Carney
   Family Lawyer

Matthew Carney, Separation Agreement Lawyer in NSW

Property Settlement NSW

What happens during the property settlement process? (Video)

Author: Matthew Carney
About: Matthew Carney is the head of the Family & De Facto Law Team and our Criminal Law Team. Matthew provides practical and effective family law advice to clients in all matters including property settlements, parenting matters, applications for divorce, annulment applications, child support, contravention, recovery and relocation proceedings. Matthew assists his clients to resolve matters in their best interests at the earliest possible opportunity. Matthew explains the law in an individual way tailored to each clients needs while demonstrating genuine care and compassion in this difficult time.
Connect via: Twitter Google+ LinkedIn

Contact Us Now

We respond in 24 hours or less

Please provide details regarding your matter so we can assist you

Enquiry Form

Fill out our enquiry form and we'll respond within 24 hours

Please tick to verify that you are not a spam


What happens when you burn down your house during a separation to avoid transferring it to your ex?

What happens when you burn down your property during a property settlement to avoid transferring it to your former partner? When fire fighters attended upon a property in Wollongong in the early hours of 4 August 2016 they discovered that the owner was sitting with his dog calmly watching his house going up in flames. Mr Krste Kovaces...

Read More ...

A step by step guide to obtaining a separation agreement

A step by step guide to obtaining a separation agreement from Turnbull Hill Lawyers A separation agreement (known as a binding financial agreement (or BFA) under the Family Law Act) is a legally binding document that formalises your property settlement. As a separation agreement is legally binding, each party must carefully co...

Read More ...

Significant Changes Are Proposed to Criminal Law Sentencing & Offender Supervision

On 9 May 2017, the NSW Governments announced a series of significant justice reforms that aim to deliver justice more quickly to communities and victims, strengthen sentencing options and ensure offenders are rigorously supervised when serving community orders. Sentencing Reform It has been proposed that: Suspended sentenc...

Read More ...

How does the 2017 Budget affect the family law Courts?

The government has made several announcements that will affect the family law system in the 2017 budget. These include a new initiative to help resolve disputes, additional family law consultants, and a trial of domestic violence units. The Australian Law Reform Commission has been asked to conduct a comprehensive review of the family law sys...

Read More ...

7 Hot Tips for Buying Property Off the Plan

7 Hot Tips for Buying Property Off the Plan from Turnbull Hill Lawyers 1. Lock in the right price by doing market research When you buy property 'off the plan' you are purchasing it many months, sometimes years, in advance before construction has been completed sometimes even before construction has started. For this r...

Read More ...

| 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next

"Natalie (Power) handled a very tricky family ma...

Steve B

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation